Graduate Life | Making Connections


Networking. For me, that word immediately conjures up the image of navigating a crowded room and making polite conversation, whilst awkwardly balancing a glass of bubbly and canapés. As someone who dislikes being in a social situation with a large group of people, this sounds like my worst nightmare. 

If you've been to university or attended any kind of careers talk, you will have heard people say how important networking is. You may be familiar with phrase 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' or the idea that you have to push your way into business, adding everyone who's anyone to your contact list, to get ahead in life. Swanning around careers fairs or business events trying to charm employers into believing they need me in their company just isn't my style. Well, I'm here to tell you you don't need to do that to gain valuable contacts in your industry and even secure an internship. 

Thinking About Work Experience


Remember my last post where I spoke about the graduate careers programme at university? Since I had no idea what career path to follow, my careers advisor and I agreed the way forward was for me to test out different roles via work experience. She told me to think of two companies I would like to learn more about and potentially pursue a career in. The two I chose were a well-known pharmaceutical company which has a branch in my hometown and the NHS, more specifically the clinical science labs. 

Next, my advisor asked me if I had any friends or family working in these organisations, or in a similar line of work, as having a contact is usually the best way to get your foot in the door. My mind was blank. I couldn't think of anyone I knew working in these sectors. I started to think how much easier things would be if my Dad worked at a pharmaceutical company or if my sister had worked for the NHS. If only someone I knew could put in a good word for me. 

Just as the meeting was finishing, I suddenly remembered a 'contact' I had made 6 months ago. When I say 'contact' I mean he responded to my emails a couple of times and invited me to attend a talk he gave. At the talk, I had spoken to him briefly and thanked him for the invitation, but no more than that. He probably wouldn't remember me at all. Who is 'he'? Let me explain...

6 Months Earlier...


In January of final year, I applied for the NHS Scientist Training Program (STP). I had missed out on booking onto one of the STP open days, so before submitting my application I wanted to gain further insight into the role. Furthermore, the best way to show my interest in the programme would be to contact a local NHS genetics laboratory and ask if I could have a look around or speak to one of the clinical scientists working there. So I did exactly that. I got the general email address for the genetics department at two NHS Trusts and emailed them. 

A few days passed and I had heard nothing back, the application deadline fast approaching. Then an email pinged into my inbox from the lead consultant clinical scientist at the molecular genetics department, inviting me to the hospital for a talk he was giving about the STP, including a tour of the laboratories. I had no hesitation in accepting the invitation and attending the talk, and bigging it up in my application.

Back to Today's Story...


As you've probably guessed, I didn't get a place on the STP this year. However, I was still interested in working in an NHS lab and applying in 2019. I don't know why I hadn't thought of this contact when my careers advisor had first asked me if I knew anyone working in the NHS. Perhaps it is because she asked if any 'friends of family' worked there and this man was neither. I thought that I had to really know someone well to reach out to them and ask for a favour (aka some work experience). It turns out this is not the case. 

I told my supervisor about my NHS 'contact' and she advised me to email him and ask for advice on how to strengthen my STP application and how to gain relevant experience. She said not to expect too much, but he may be able to help. It was worth a shot, I had nothing to lose. I began the email reminding him how we met, before going on to ask for advice. To my surprise he replied promptly, asking me to call him for a chat. 

The Phone Call


In general, I hate talking on the phone. If there's any possibility the conversation can be done via email, I will do it by email. I was nervous about making the call, what would I say? I bit the bullet and forced myself to dial the number. He spoke quietly on the phone and I found it hard to understand him. However, I had managed to gather that he was offering me an internship in the laboratory and that I would attend an interview for it the following Thursday. 

I was totally shocked and so grateful to have been given this opportunity. After a couple of months hanging around the house with no real purpose, I was eager to get doing something that would enhance my CV and potential STP application. I felt like I had hit the jackpot - most of my applications to the NHS had been unsuccessful due to lack of experience, so this internship was just what I needed. After an interview and passing a short test, I was offered the internship. I have been there for 1 month now. 

The NHS don't advertise any internships on their website for clinical science so I had never dreamt it would even be possible to do one. However, this goes to show that if you put yourself out there and make connections for yourself you never know what opportunities could come your way. I encourage you to google a company or industry you're interested in working for and find an email address. What could be easier than sending a quick email to ask for some advice? You've got nothing to lose but everything to gain.

Lessons of the Week

- Don't think just because your friends or family don't work in the field you're interested in that you have no contacts. Really think about people you've met - even if you've just met them briefly. 
- If you have no contacts, make some. You have to put yourself out there. Even if it is just by email. 
- Once you have a few contacts, use them. Ask for advice, most of the time people will want to help you. If not, then that's ok - at least you tried and now move on to the next contact. 

Keep hustling. 
Lyd


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Need Liability Coverage From Your Insurance Company

10 things about going to IKEA as an adult