My Hair Journey Series: Hair Care Tools



Hi! And welcome back to Lolly’s Secrets! If you are like me, you just want to look good and feel good to yourself. And although I struggle with eating healthy and being a “normal” size, my hair is something I feel I can work at and see results.

In this post, I want us to talk about the different hair tools that we need when taking care of our hair.

If you don’t know, I recently went fully natural and I decided I wanted to take care of my natural hair as best I can. If you want to know more, have a read on this post.

For me to take care of my hair, there are tools that are essential in making this process as efficient as possible without damaging the hair in the process.

Lets jump right into them!

Wide Tooth Comb

The first tool that every proud naturalista needs is a wide tooth comb. I have so many different types! I think I am a hoarder...low key!

I just like having multiple of the same thing in case something happens like...the comb breaking!!! Yes!! It has happened to me before! And also when I’m washing one, I like to have another available. So basically I always have 3 at any given time.

The wide tooth comb makes it easier for me to detangle my hair. Just make sure that you always detangle your hair while it is wet and start from the tip and work your way up to the root.

Wide Tooth Comb: Click Here to get yours

Afro Pick Comb

I use this interchangeably with my wide tooth comb. The afro comb was more useful when I had a TWA and now that my hair is a bit fuller, I change between the wide tooth comb and the afro comb.

Ultimately, a wide tooth comb is for most lengths of hair and an afro comb I find to be more useful for short to slightly longer length of hair.

Afro Comb: Click Here to get yours

Comb Set

Everyone needs a comb set. You can never have too many combs. They just come in useful!!! I have this exact one.

Comb Set: Click Here to get yours

Hair Clips

Hair clips are so essential. I have different ones for different things. The most important ones to have are the ones that are used to section off your hair.

A lot of people wash and style their hair in sections and you need hair clips to section off parts of your hair so that you can work on each section thoroughly.

Butterfly Clips: Click Here 

Cling Film

This comes in so handy under the shower cap when I am doing a deep conditioning treatment. I know its a kitchen staple but trust me! It’s a handy one for your hair as well.

Soon as all the treatment is in, I wrap my hair in cling film to keep in the heat on my head and I cover it further with a shower cap.


Shower Cap

I love the disposable clear shower caps and I use them after I shampoo and I put conditioner on my hair.

I put the shower cap over my conditioned hair and I shower then I wash out the conditioner, slap on my hair treatment or deep conditioner and put the shower cap back on.

It helps to keep the heat in that is being generated from your head and helps the products penetrate the hair shafts.

Shower Cap: Click Here to get yours

Electric Steam Cap

I love this item. it makes my deep conditioning treatment such a dream! soon as I have the cling film and shower cap on, I place this steamer over it, plug it in and let it heat up my head. the heat opens up the pores and hair shaft and lets the treatment soak in. One of my best buys yet!

Electric Steam Cap: Click Here to get yours

Detangling Brush

For a while I didn’t know how to use this brush. It looked painful. I had to watch numerous youtube videos and see how people have been using them.

In my opinion, it is very useful to detangle in smaller sections when prepooing and also when styling. The wide tooth comb is better used for larger sections and removes bigger knots.

Detangling Brush: Click Here to get yours

Combing Brush

This brush is perfect for getting great edges, brushing hair into a bun, pulling and gathering all hair into any one place. I love it for my edges specifically and I'm sure when my hair gets longer, it will continue to come in handy.

Combing Brush: Click Here to get yours


Soft Hard Brush

I always use this when I have cornrows. they work so well in smoothing down all my frizzy hair.
Soft Brush: Click Here to get yours

Applicator Bottles

It took me a while to understand what the big deal was with these applicator bottles. I felt everyone was just being very extra with these but honestly… I must say that they come in so useful!!! And I really can’t survive without them! I have one for my scalp oil mix, another for my shampoo and a 3rd for my deep conditioning treatment mix.

It just makes it so much easier for the oils go straight to the scalp, the shampoo to be on the scalp and not strip my hair and the treatment not get as messy.
Applicator Bottle: Click Here to get yours

Spray Bottles

I normally have three spray bottles. I fill one with warm water and spray on my hair to open my hair shaft, I use another one for a mixture I created as my daily hair spray ( three parts water, one part oil, one part conditioner) and I have a third as a spare...just in case.

My favourite bottle is the fine mist spray bottle. It just coats the hair evenly without the mess that normally happens with normal spray bottles. I’ve only got one at the moment but I plan to buy more soon!

Spray Bottle: Click Here to get yours

Microfibre Towel

I always roll my eyes when I see a t-shirt being used as a towel but I get it. After all the hard work, you don’t want to use a normal towel and have your hair frizz up on you.

But I still feel a t-shirt is taking things that little bit far. So I decided to go with my microfibre towel. I’ve ordered it so its on its way!

In the meantime, a normal towel will not be the end of the world. It just means that you need to style your hair a bit longer to ensure you don’t have frizz.

Microfibre Towel: Click Here to get yours

Hooded Dryer

Some people do not use heat on their hair, I rarely do these days. However, Natural hair can take some time to dry with all the products you have put in to moisturise your hair.

This is why you need a hooded dryer. If you are like me, you probably do not have the money nor the space for a proper hooded dryer that you would normally find in the salon.

Here comes the portable easy to use one which is used with a hair dryer. It has saved me so much time when styling my hair.

Hooded Dryer: Click Here to get yours

Hand Held Dryer

Every girl should have one of these knocking about in their house somewhere. If you don't, you definitely need it. A lot of people in the natural hair community despite heat.

I understand that heat damage is a real thing, but i always dry my hair on low heat or on cool. I’m a lazy natural so i need things don in a timely fashion so I can get back to doing other things.

The favourite on amazon seems to be a Remmington and TRESemme but I have a BaByliss and it has stood the test of time...six years to be exact!

Hand Held Dryer: Click Here to get yours

Silk or Satin Scarf 

A silk scarf does not rob you of your hard earned moisture. It keeps all the good stuff in your hair. I always have a minimum of 4. I change mine weekly and they keep the moisture in my hair the next morning.

Sometimes though… the scarfs fall off my hair in the night so i tend to either wear two scarfs or wear a special bonnet with it.

Here is the best option for multiple scarves

Silk Scarves: Click Here to get yours

Sleep Bonnet

So I used to hate sleep bonnets because they never stayed on my head when I sept. I then found some new ones that actually tie so you can tie it and adjust how snug you want it so it doesn’t fall off your head. Mine hasn’t fallen off my head since I got it a couple of weeks ago.

Sleep Bonnet: Click Here to get yours

Hair Scissors

I don't know about you, but I am absolutely terrified of hairstylists and their penchant for wielding the scissors like a hatchet! Just to be on the safe side, I recommend having a pair of hair scissors at home.

At least, you can control what you cut! I do recommend trimming your split ends though otherwise, they end up splitting all the way up and then you find your hairdresser grinning evilly because they finally have an excuse to cut all your hair off.

Better safe than sorry! Cut off the damaged ends and remember...hair grows!

Ive ordered mine but they are still on their way. Here are a pair that will be useful for you
Hair Scissors: Click Here to get yours

Bobby Pins

I didn’t understand how to use bobby pins. Then one day, I saw a youtube video of someone who creates a faux mohawk style using bobby pins! Another video, I saw someone else used bobby pins to get a defined part as short curly hair is s struggle to get a good part. That was all I needed to see! I went and bought a pack of 120. But they are constantly disappearing! I always need a top up more often than I care to share.

Bobby Pins: Click Here to get yours

Rods and Rollers

These are great for styling. Each type of rod or roller and the size used have their own type of curl that they create. I suggest just trying different types and sizes so you are sure of the curl type you prefer.

I currently have perm rods and curl rollers.

Perm Rods: Click Here to get yours

Rollers: Click Here to get yours

Well thats it from me for now. I'm sure when my hair gets longer, I'll have more tools for styling my hair. but for the most part, these are the essentials.

I think I will do another post on the products i have been using that has given me a lot of growth in the last two months.

If you know of any other tools that havent been mentioned here, please leave a comment below so that we can learn from each other.

I’ll be posting my Natural Hair Care Routine very soon!

In the meantime, if you want more up to date information of what i get up to, please follow me on Instagram and share in my daily highs and lows and how i stay sane in a not so sane world.

Until the next post! Ciao!

Love,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graduate Life | Making Connections

Why You Need Liability Coverage From Your Insurance Company

10 things about going to IKEA as an adult